Thursday, December 3, 2015

Tidying and repairs evening

The mod I did on the 12V power switcher seems to be good, so that was secured up under the dash and everything buttoned up on that.

On the bicycle front, the road bike has been out of commission due to an incident a few weeks ago where a stray bit of paracord got wrapped around the rear derailleur and sucked it into the wheel, wrecking the derailleur, derailleur hanger and the chain.

I got a new derailleur hanger from Amazon today, a new derailleur (used) off eBay on Monday. I switched to a short cage derailleur because they're easy to find for $20 on eBay, while the standard medium cage ones are difficult to find and are $50 new. I adjusted the front derailleur to not drop into the little chainring (which I never use anyway) so I'm within the throw range for the short cage.

The hanger didn't quite fit right, after measuring it against the old one I determined that the frame was a bit big in one place, so I filed about a millimeter off that one place and it works fine now.  The chain I was able to straighten to what I think will be acceptable standards, and I had to take 3 links out to work with the new derailleur. A road test will tell if I need a new chain or not.

Cable and screw adjustments were done on the stand. I will road test it on Saturday if there's not snow or ice on the ground.

Having the rear wheel lock up while riding also dug down to the cords on the tire so that went in the trash as well.

Net damage was $20 for the hanger, $20 for the derailleur and $10 for the new tire (a Cheng Shin/Nashbar slick, which I still had a couple new ones here). Much cheaper than I had expected.

No comments:

New printer: JGAurora A3

This week I decided I'd had it with all the other printers in my stable.  The CTC is stable and decent but it just bugs me (can't st...