Friday, November 29, 2013

Printer rebuild

In the last few days I've rebuilt my primary printer using up to date i3 parts and the newer box frame. I'm happy with it.

I installed an older JHead because it has a 0.35mm nozzle which I wanted to go back to and try, but it didn't work out.  It's an old design (Mark III I think), and it has the squared off nozzle profile - this catches on the printed object as it's travelling and once the parts get 15mm or so high, the head pulls the parts off the bed.

So I went back to the 0.5mm Mk V head.

I went back to direct drive too.  The Bowden is kind of a pain in the butt in several respects and the only plus was doing 2 color printing, and apart from printing one test, I haven't had any call to actually use it.


Fume hood for 3D printing

Some residents in my house are pretty sensitive to the fumes from 3D printing, so after months of procrastination preparation, today I built this fume hood, with a 4" fan exhausting to an outside vent.

The spool rack on the top was a last minute addition after I realized that the 30" depth of the table plus the wood frame wasn't enough to put spools inside with the printer.

I didn't do a great job of sealing things up - I'm relying on the negative pressure to keep the fumes from escaping significantly.  If that doesn't work, I'll seal things up better.

I will probably build a plexi door for the front eventually so that I can see in.  Right now I have a webcam attached to the frame so that I can keep an eye on what's going on in there.

New printer: JGAurora A3

This week I decided I'd had it with all the other printers in my stable.  The CTC is stable and decent but it just bugs me (can't st...