Wednesday, September 11, 2013

First two color print!

I've been thinking about this for months, and working at it for a few days.  Last weekend I got a dual hotend carrier printed and converted to a Bowden system. Last night I did some design tweaks and printed the last couple of items I needed for the 2nd extruder, and salvaged the extruder and hotend from my other printer (an i2 which I haven't used for months).


Success!
Still a little rough - using Slic3r which doesn't yet have very sophisticated dual extruder temperature control, so I need to print a little cooler to help with the dribbling problems. About halfway up I manually dropped both extruders to 180 and the problem reduced quite a bit.
The little ghost purple square to the left is because it was dribbling out of extruder 0 while drawing with extruder 1 on the first few layers.

The Marlin firmware extruder offset thing doesn't seem to work - or I don't have something set right. It didn't add the offset to the movements. So I just had Slic3r do the adjustment, I'll figure it out later.